Project Overview

This Colonial repaint near downtown Tulsa was a very interesting project.  It was badly peeling, had a lot of rotted soffit, and all the paint was seriously failing.  It was a big undertaking to prepare it and we had to use lead safe painting practices throughout.

It was an ugly brown color with white trim throughout.  The colors we put on were from the Sherwin Williams Heritage collection.  A nice taupe for the body and a rich yellow/tan for the trim work.  We added a bright red accent for the front door and detail accents around the soffit corbels.

It was quite an project getting all that flaking and failing paint off without getting lead dust and debri all over the place.  It is important to use lead safe work practices and EPA certified workers to do a project like this.  Luckily, Dukes Painting is fully licensed for lead based paint work.

More Info

We started off by checking to verify that there was lead based paint throughout this house.  We tested the front and back and both sides for lead based paint.  The text came up possitive so we knew we would have to follow lead safe guidlines.

We attached 10 foot of plastic to the bottom of the house all the way around and steaked it out with wooden stakes and heavy boards and rocks.  This is to make sure that the paint scrapings and old lead encased wood wouldnt get into the dirt below.  It allows us to collect all the chips without makeing a huge mess.

After all the plastic was in place,  I removed and replaced the rotten areas of the soffit.  There were several.

Then, we hand scraped all of the peeling paint.  There was a lot of peeling paint.  It appeared as if the house had been painted within the last 10 years but it was just sprayed on without any prep work at all.  I found bugs, dirt, peeling paint, and other debri under the latest layer of paint.  Needless to say it was in bad shape.  Hand scraping this house took up most of the time on this job.

After scraping, it was time to caulk.  There was also a lot of caulk to do on this house.  I used Sherwin Williams 950A 55 year caulk on this Tulsa paint job. I went through at least 4 cases of caulk before it was all finished.  Huge gaps and holes were abundant.

Next up came the painting.  We sprayed the body color on using an airless sprayer and back brushed every square inch of it.  Back brushing is essential when it comes to a paint job like this.  It forces the paint into all the cracks, nooks, and crannies and allows for the best adhesion.  Be warry of anyone who says they can just spray the siding.  It will not last.

Then we painted two coats of paint on the trim by hand using brush and roller techniques.

The last step of the process was doing the accent color on the front door and on the corbels.  It make the house pop.  Then it was just a quick clean up because most of the mess was contained by the plastic layer on the ground.

Most Recent Entries